Presentations, lectures, workshops
This list presents a selection and excludes presentations at academic conferences given between 2006-2011
· Speaker at international conference Overcoming the Obstacles to Access of Detained Persons to Rights and to Court: European Perspectives, European Court of Human Rights (6-7 December 2018), Strasbourg.
· Speaker at round table meeting Human Rights and Ethical Implications of Approaches to Countering Violent Extremism in Europe, with UN Special Rapporteur Fionnuala Ní Aolaín, Rights Watch and Chatham House (11-12 January 2018,) London.
· Speaker at expert meeting Monitoring of Detention Conditions and Treatment of Detainees in the Context of Countering Violent Extremism and Radicalization that Lead to Terrorism (VERLT) in Prisons, OSCE/ODIHR in cooperation with Penal Reform International (PRI) (4-5 December 2017), Warsaw.
· Participant in round table meeting EU Directive on Combatting Terrorism: Ensuring human rights compliance, OSEPI (16 February), Brussels.
· Initiator and organizer expert meeting Security, Pre-emption and Human Rights: Preventive Counterterrorism, Netherlands Institute for Human Rights, Amnesty International Nederland, University of Leiden (November 2017).
· Speaker and organizer seminar Terrorism detention units: time for change?, Netherlands Commission of Jurists for Human Rights (NJCM) and Amnesty International Nederland (November 2017).
· Speaker at summer school International Human Rights Law, Netherlands Institute for Human Rights (July 2017)
· Speaker at expert-meeting in the Dutch Senate on two new counter-terrorism bills (December 2016)
· Initiator and moderator workshop about human rights at the conference Privacy in the digital age of encryption and anonymity online, with UN Special Rapporteur David Kay, EIPA & Europol (May 2016)
· Speaker at workshop Transnational Human Rights Advocacy Networks: Reflecting on 15 years of Evolving Theory and Practice, Brown University, Providence, United States of America (May 2015)
· Speaker expert-meeting Towards a human rights agenda for Amsterdam, Municipality of Amsterdam (April 2014)
· Initiator and moderator Can Europe still afford human rights?, The Hague Institute for Global Justice (January 2014)
· Initiator and moderator Endtimes or Breakthrough. Human Rights in a Neo-Westphalian World, The Hague Institute for Global Justice (January 2014)
· Participant in workshop Impact of counterterrorism on minority communities, Open Society Institute / Institute of Strategic Dialogue, London, United Kingdom (September 2012).
· Participant in expert-meeting Ethical Journalism Initiative. A Training Course on Freedom of Expression and Equality, Article 19/ International Federation of Journalists (IFJ), Brussels, Belgium (April 2011)